Saturday, March 10, 2007

Up to Speed

About a month ago, I was invited to join Toon Club, I guess that's how I got on to this blogging path (although my wife has had a blog for some time now). I started contributing on a weekly basis. Here are a few of the things I've posted, though I'll go into a little more detail here.

A few weeks ago the topic was Cartoon Villains, so I posted my interpretation of General Mills super sugared cereal monsters - Count Chocula, Franken Berry & Boo Berry. I had seen Craig Kellman (Character Designer for the film Madagascar) re-design them somewhere on the internet & I wanted to further his designs with color etc. He had done them in a very similar style to my own (mid-century retro cartoon) & so I used his designs for reference.





While I was researching them, I found that there were two other cereals in this monster line-up: The discontinued Fruit Brute & Yummy Mummy, which I do actually remember. So I re-designed them from scratch to match the others. I think Fruit Brute is my favorite.


4 comments:

Ken Chandler said...

I vauguely remember the short stint into cerealdom that these two last characters made... but can't remember ever tasting either. Not sure why they didn't succeed as their monster buddies did, but Froot Brute especially makes a cool design. I like your design better than what they stuck on the box (yeah, I looked it up too). Great stuff Bryan.

DonKelly said...

Great designs Bryan! Been browsing your Blog this morning... and now I'm hungry for Franken Berry..but all's I got is oatmeal.

Anyway...

Nice stuff. Really nice.

John Nunnemacher said...

Wow. I was just googling for images of Fruit Brute to prove to a friend that he really did exist at one time, and your redesign here jumped out off the page of all the other traditional image results ...

Awesome job, man and an awesome style. I'll have to follow your blog now.

If Fruit Brute had looked like this from the start, maybe they'd still be selling his cereal. :)

Steve Spatucci said...

I'm a fellow illustrator, just searching for Frankenberry illustrations and I found your blog - very, very cool work! I love the two lesser-known characters as well.

I also found your site - I hope you don't mind me saying this, but you're missing a "c" from "Beachouse" in the title of the home page (only). I only mention it because it will affect your search results.

Great stuff - I'm glad I found you!